Wednesday, December 5, 2012

WIP #15 (or Sewing with Bum Hands)


It's been weeks since I've turned on my machine. The little sewing I've done has only been on the cross stitch pattern above.

I want to do more, but my hands won't let me. They started going numb in my sleep back in February. Night splints have helped, but the numbness and pain are too much to handle. I've been to the orthopedist and the neurologist, and it's confirmed: I have severe carpel tunnel in my right hand, moderate in my left. That means surgery. Soon. Like before Christmas. That also means no sewing for a while. : (

But I'm just looking forward to starting the new year with good hands (well at least 1 good hand as I can't do both surgeries at the same time). So the above may not look like a lot of work, but trust me, I consider it a major accomplishment.

Check out other WIPs at Freshly Pieced.

11 comments:

  1. Ouch!

    Your stitching is beautiful.



    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are better soon and that the op goes ok. Great cross stitching,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you my sister had carpal tunnel syndrome after the birth of her second, it was tough. Your cross stitch is amazing considering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your sewing will get back on track after your surgery, Amie. it's difficult to slow down around Christmas, but take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart! I'm glad it's something that can be fixed. Real bummer that you have to go through the surgeries, but way better than an MS diagnosis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amie, you'll be glad to see the back of 2012!!! A friend has had both done, and it went really well. Like Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continued... I thought MS when you mentioned the problems, so glad it's *only* CTS! Lovely cross stitch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. After you mentioned you were sad about your hands, I strolled through lots of your blog to get a feel for your talents and skills--and you have many! I like lots of your work, but I have to say I really love that yellow quilt for your niece, with it's patchy zig-zag. Since it's evident you love to quilt, I'm sure you'll be back to creating treasures once you get through this bump in the road. Hand in there!

    Thanks for stopping by Freshly Pieced and posting your WIP link.
    Elizabeth E., Guest Host
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific job! I'm a cross stitcher too! I know the work, with or without sore hands!
    Best wishes for your surgery & recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a sweet cross stitch. I'm glad your hands will be better soon - they sound really painful x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooo pretty....You did an amazing job, even with your bum hands. ;)

    ReplyDelete